What is the best rug shampooer out there?
Sometimes it’s easier to rent a carpet or rug shampooer from your local carpet cleaning company instead of buying one. However, if you have a busy household with kids and pets, it’s better to invest in one instead. Rug shampooers are heavy, powerful machines that are ideal for removing dirt and stains deep in the fibers without leaving your carpet saturated with water.
There are many varieties of rug shampooers available, which can make it confusing if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Which begs the question we asked at the beginning: what is the best rug shampooer?
What Is The Best Rug Shampooer: Factors To Consider
If you have stairs in your home, you will need a carpet cleaner with a long hose so that you can reach the stairs. Look for a cleaning model that has the attachments you need, but also think of how much space you will need to store it.
Keep in mind these machines are very noisy. It’s usually recommended that you wear ear protection.
How To Choose The Best Rug Shampooer
Ease of use
The best rug shampooer should be easy to operate. Look for a carpet cleaner with a water tank that is easy to detach and fill. It should also have a clear fill line. Others have rinse modes that don’t require you to refill the tank.
An excellent rug shampooer should have strong suction which can pull out as much shampoo as possible. It should have powerful spray jets and strong brushes that don’t leave your rug damp. To prevent mold growth, your rug should be dry enough after a few hours that you can walk on it.
Easy to maneuver
Some rug cleaning machines tend to be heavier and bulkier which makes them hard to move it around. This is a significant consideration in answering the question, “What is the best rug shampooer?” in your own circumstances.
Quality scrub brushes
The quality of the rug shampooer’s scrub brushes is important. Can they remove both top and underneath stains in your rug fibers?
You should also consider how hard the brushes are on your rug. Will it scrub out the deep stains but damage your rug in the process?
After cleaning your rug, you also need to clean the machine. A machine that has detachable parts is easy to clean or comes with the tools you need to clean any areas that aren’t so easy to reach.
Type of rug
Rugs come in different types, such as wool, natural fibers like sisal, fur, Oriental rugs, and woven rugs. Check the rug’s label for the instructions on how to clean the rug. Be careful not to damage the rug fibers and fabric.
It’s wise to invest in a rug shampooer that fits your home. Make sure that you have space to store it.
The Best Rug Shampooers
Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner Machine, Upright Shampooer, FH50150, Red
$170.95 in stock
- EASY DEEP CLEANING: SpinScrub brushes powerfully removes deep-embedded dirt and stains with 360 degree brushes and strong suction while being gentle on your carpet
- FASTER DRYING: HeatForce for faster drying so you can get back on your carpets quickly
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Less than 19 pounds, pick up and go wherever the mess is with ease
- AN EVEN CLEAN: With the Dual V Nozzle. Handle Material-Plastic
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: 8ft hose to deep clean hard-to-reach areas, stair tool, upholstery tool, crevice tool, and sample bottle of carpet cleaning solution
The water tank has separate compartments for the water and cleaning solution and an auto-rinse feature that doesn’t require you to refill the clean water tank. It’s also simple to clean, as you can detach the nozzle and brushes. This cleaner comes with a variety of cleaning tools like an extended hose, crevice tool, powered scrubbing hand tool, upholstery tool, and stair tool.
The only downside to this machine is the heated cleaning feature. It is ineffective in quickly drying your carpet with heated air.
- Easy to use
- Comes with many cleaning accessories for the stairs and furniture
- Simple to clean
- Removes stains quickly
- Has a short hose
- Doesn’t heat the water quickly
BISSELL PowerLifter PowerBrush Upright Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 1622
- Full Size Carpet Cleaner with 4 row dual rotating DirtLifter PowerBrushes; Cleaning Path Width: 11inches
- The rotating brush scrubs and lifts away dirt and stains that a vacuum can't get
- 2 in 1 water tank for easy filling and easy emptying; Cleaning Path Width: 11inches
- Removes deep down dirt and stains using hot tap water and carpet formula. Power Rating : 6.25 amps
- Includes a removable nozzle, lint screen, built in measuring cup, 8 oz. trial sized formula and a 1 Year Warranty
The Bissell Powerlifter is a relatively quiet cleaner. It’s not too hard to operate or too hard on your wallet. You can easily push it around and it doesn’t cause discomfort with extended use. Compared to other, more expensive cleaners, it is just as efficient, provided you’re using it to remove light to moderate rug stains.
While it’s easy to remove the Powerlifter’s nozzle for rinsing, it’s hard to clean the roof of the non-detachable brushes, but you can scrape off most of the dirt and grime. It’s one of the most budget-friendly cleaning machines, but it doesn’t come with additional cleaning accessories to help you clean the stairs or furniture.
- Budget-friendly cleaning machine
- Relatively quiet machine
- Light and simple to use
- Has no cleaning accessories
- Can’t clean tough stains
Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner, Large and Portable, Red
- Cleaning tank capacity (gallons) - 1. Dual cross action brushes oscillate and rotate to scrub carpet fibers from every angle powering away dirt and stains to deliver a professional-grade deep clean and soft, plush results
- 75 percent more suction than comparable carpet cleaning machines slashes drying time; quick dry in four hours or less; simple lift clean and dirty water tanks make refilling and emptying easy
- Rated Gold for Best in Class Cleaning Performance by CRI (Carpet + Rug Institute); cleans deeper than other comparable machines and will not void carpet’s.Cord Length (ft.):28
- "Super Boost” gives an extra “boost” to highly trafficked or heavily soiled areas that require extra attention; perfect for old stains, rental houses, apartments, pet stains, coffee, wine, and juice
- Includes removable tool caddy and upholstery tool for spot treating stains or cleaning tricky spaces like car interiors, area rugs, stairs, pet beds, furniture, or other hard-to-reach areas. Voltage: 120 V
Rug Doctor is a well-known name in carpet cleaning for its top of the line cleaning machines. This Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner will give you a deep clean and remove every trace of dirt and dust between the carpet fibers and small crevices.
The brushes are designed to clean a wide area and the side bristles can clean the hard-to-reach edges. It comes with a range of features like the super boost spray that makes it easier for you to apply more soap to tough stains. When it comes to storage, it’s easier to store the Rug Doctor in limited storage space as the handle folds down, making it more compact for storage.
The water tank has a handle that you can easily detach from the machine for easy filling and decanting. This powerful carpet cleaner is also excellent at water extraction. It’s a little heavier than other carpet cleaners, however, so you will need to put a little bit more effort. But that doesn’t mean you can’t easily control the machine.
- Excellent at water extraction
- Has a hose and cleaning attachments
- Side bristles to clean corners and hard to reach edges
- Effective in removing stubborn and tough stains
- Heavier than other cleaning machines
- Expensive machine
What is our pick for the best rug shampooer?
Overall, we recommend the Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe as the best rug shampooer. It’s easy to use for everyday cleaning and comes with many accessories to help you to clean sharp edges, stairs, and furniture. You can easily clean it after use, and it is very budget-friendly.